Thursday, August 1, 2013

More Steps by Steps !!!

This painting is done as a portfolio piece for Galaxy Saga kind-of-thing (not because of Pacific Rim, but maybe a bit lol), and this is the steps.


I want to paint an illustration of a robot (which is a little bigger than a normal human size) killing a soldier, a simple idea. First i made a sketch. I like it rough (no pun intended).


Then i paint silhouettes and add light sources. I am not very neat in painting. Well, at least i'm trying to fix that time after time. And for the layering, i usually do it like this :
- Effect Layer
- Color Layer
- Detail Layer
- Sketch (or lineart)
- Block-in
and i separate the middle, back and foreground in folders, sometimes.


Ok, in this step i got a little carried away. But hey, it's not detailed yet. I only paint large geometric shapes and a little detail. From here on, you should listen to epic musics or scores to increase the "badassness" of your painting. I'm serious.

I add more detaiiiils. I like to add scratches and bruishes to the armor i paint to make it more realistic (and mainly because of Real Steel and Pacific Rim, those are good references for bruishes and scratches, go watch them)For the structures in the background, i paint it only with lasso tool. It's very handy and the result's very solid.



Then i add colors. Mainly with overlay and soft light. You can try it yourself with my grayscale.



Paint effects and lights !!! As you can see, my design reference is from Cthulhu. But, i modified it a bit. If i paint the advanced version of it, maybe i would add wings. And for the smoke effect, just google smoke and set the layer to screen and voila! Or find smoke brushes.


And the rest is just adding effects (like J.J. Abrams's lens flare) and finishing.


For the guy in the left, it looks a bit stiff. I repaint it a bit so he looks like being pushed
away. And the painting is finished.

Conclusion : Painting mechs are fun. I must paint more !!! (Paintmore, it's a cool name lol)

And for the music, I usually listen to epic musics or scores like Hans Zimmer or Two Steps from Hell, thanks for my friend that used to play epic scores in our room . Sometimes it is very effective and sometimes not. You feel very powerful and unstoppable while painting. But, sometimes it is too powerful that you want to run outside, fly to outerspace and kill some monsters or aliens.

nb : no, that's not rashengan.

1 comment:

  1. " I like it rough (no pun intended)."
    I actually lol'd at this, very nice painting

    ReplyDelete